« Mr. Wind Tells His Story | Main | Today's Bush Joke »

July 18, 2007

That "Senior Leader Of Al Qaeda In Iraq" Iraq  Politics

It was all over the news today: the US military captured a senior al Qaeda in Iraq leader. CNN:

The U.S. military on Wednesday announced the arrest of a senior leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, an insurgent who, the military said, is casting himself as a "conduit" between the top leaders of al Qaeda and al Qaeda in Iraq.

But, in case you missed it, here's a little detail that didn't make the headlines: the guy was captured two weeks ago (July 4) and they only announced it today. He's supposedly this super-important al Qaeda guy, the "conduit" between global al Qaeda and al Qaeda in Iraq, the demonstration of a significant link between Bin Laden and the insurgency, a supposed proof of something the administration has been dying to establish forever. And they only thought to mention it today.

Yesterday, it was the National Intelligence Estimate that trumpeted the al Qaeda threat. Today, it's this. Neatly timed to take the Republican filibuster of the Senate vote on a troop drawdown and blow it off the front pages. Funny how that works.

Posted by Jonathan at July 18, 2007 10:13 PM  del.icio.us digg NewsVine Reddit YahooMyWeb

Comments

I think I messed that up, so I'll try again. I tagged you with a "Thinking Blogger Award" because you offer "extensive coverage of global warming and energy-related issues, with enough outrage left over to denounce our dreams of empire."

The URL, if you'd care to see the post, is:

Posted by: LarryE at July 19, 2007 04:15 AM

This woman should run for president instead of Hillary.
Written by a housewife from New Jersey and sounds like it! This is one
ticked off lady.

"Are we fighting a war on terror or aren't we? Was it or was it not
started by Islamic people who brought it to our shores on September 11,
2001?

Were people from all over the world, mostly Americans, not brutally murdered
that day, in downtown Manhattan , across the Potomac from our nation's
capitol and in a field in Pennsylvania? Did nearly three thousand men,
women and children die a horrible, burning or crushing death that day, or
didn't they?

And I'm supposed to care that a copy of the Koran was "desecrated" when an
overworked American soldier kicked it or got it wet?...Well, I don't. I
don't care at all.

I'll start caring when Osama bin Laden turns himself in and repents for
incinerating all those innocent people on 9/11.

I'll care about the Koran when the fanatics is the Middle East start caring
about the Holy Bible, the mere possession of which is a crime in Saudi Arabia .

I'll care when these thugs tell the world they are sorry for hacking off
Nick Berg's head while Berg screamed through his gurgling slashed throat.

I'll care when the cowardly so-called "insurgents" in Iraq come out and
fight like men instead of disrespecting their own religion by hiding in mosques.

I'll care when the mindless zealots who blow themselves up in search of
nirvana care about the innocent children within range of their suicide bombs.

I'll care when the American media stops pretending that their First
Amendment liberties are somehow derived from international law instead of
the United States Constitution's Bill of Rights.

In the meantime, when I hear a story about a brave marine roughing up an
Iraqi terrorist to obtain information, know this: I don't care.

When I see a fuzzy photo of a pile of naked Iraqi prisoners who have been
humiliated in what amounts to a college-hazing incident, rest assured: I
don't care.

When I see a wounded terrorist get shot in the head when he is told not to
move because he might be booby-trapped, you can take it to the bank: I don't care.

When I hear that a prisoner, who was issued a Koran and a prayer mat, and
fed "special" food that is paid for by my tax dollars, is complaining that
his holy book is being "mishandled," you can absolutely believe in your
heart of hearts: I don't care.

And oh, by the way, I've noticed that sometimes it's spelled "Koran" and
other times "Quran." Well, Jimmy Crack Corn and-you guessed it-I don't care!!

If you agree with this viewpoint, pass this on to all your E-mail friends.
Sooner or later, it'll get to the people responsible for this ridiculous
behavior!

If you don't agree, then by all means hit the delete button. Should you
choose the latter, then please don't complain when more atrocities committed
by radical Muslims happen here in our great Country!

And may I add:
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in
the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan

I have another quote that I would like to add AND.......I hope you forward all this.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation
gone under." Also by...Ronald Reagan

One last thought for the day:

In case we find ourselves starting to believe all the Anti-American
sentiment and negativity, we should remember England 's Prime Minister Tony
Blair's words during a recent interview. When asked by one of his Parliament
members why he believes so much in America, he said: "A simple way to take
measure of a country is to look at how many want in... And how many want
out."

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO PASS THIS ON, AS MANY SEEM
TO FORGET BOTH OF THEM.

Posted by: Jim at July 19, 2007 09:01 AM

Jim's comment is exactly the reason we're stuck with such a huge mess in Iraq and why we'll be the target of terrorists' aspirations in perpetuity.

Posted by: Michael at July 19, 2007 02:15 PM

Michael,

Whether you like it or not, you will be a target of these terrorist in perpetuity as long as the nations of the world, including the US, are not Islamic countries. Period.
There is no negotiating with them.

Posted by: Jim at July 20, 2007 08:18 AM

Well then Jim, the propaganda machine can consider you a success.

Posted by: Michael at July 20, 2007 08:43 AM

Michael,

It is interesting you would resort to a personal attack by implying that I am uneducated and susceptable to someone's propagand. To the contrary, I have researched the issues related to Islam in order to form an educated opinion.

Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are under the influence of some propaganda. I could say the same concerning you ... that you are under the influence of CAIR's propaganda. To say that would be an insult to you.

The war we are engaged in is a war of theology. The true followers of Islam have no option than to wage jihad against unbelievers. If you don't understand that then you do not understand their faith and have not taken the time to study the sayings of the prophet and the Quran. Within Islam there is no separation between Church and State. They are one and the same. Thus you have people even today who are executed because they turn away from Islam. Talk about intolerance!

At the same time, you do not have Islamic leaders condemning the actions of the jihadist. To the contrary, you will find posters exalting these so called martyrs and their families being rewarded financially and socially because of their actions.

Your only hope for peace with them is to convert to Islam.

Posted by: Jim at July 20, 2007 12:40 PM

Jim, I can't claim to have read the Quran or the Hadith, but what you're saying doesn't square with history.

For example, Muslims ruled Spain for some 800 years (that's a very long time, 300 years longer than the time from Columbus to today), and they didn't force anyone to convert to Islam. Jews, in particular, enjoyed a freedom from persecution under Muslim rule that they never experienced under Christian rulers. When Muslim rule was ended in 1492, the great majority of Spaniards were what they had been all along: Christians. (The new Christian rulers immediately expelled all Jews who didn't convert to Christianity.)

In contrast, when Christians came to the Americas, for example, they killed or converted everyone. Everyone.

There are people today who use Islam to further a reactionary political agenda, just as there are people who use Christianity to do so, but historically Islam has been exemplary for its tolerance.

Posted by: Jonathan at July 21, 2007 01:07 PM