« 2300 | Main | Koufax Awards Voting »

March 04, 2006

Bumper Sticker Humor & Fun

Seen in traffic today:

Evolution is only a theory.
You know, like gravity.

Posted by Jonathan at March 4, 2006 05:59 PM  del.icio.us digg NewsVine Reddit YahooMyWeb

Comments

Oh man! That's a good one!

What a good laugh for the end of the day.

I'm going to put it in the quote section, if you don't mind.

Have you ever checked out internetbumperstickers.com? I get most of my quotes there.

Posted by: PaulaO at March 4, 2006 09:01 PM

Interesting bumper sticker. Is gravity only a theory? I would think not. I mean, gravity is empirically provable, I think, whereas evolution, if it is a theory, may not be. I don't know. Maybe I think too much.

Posted by: Ed Bremson at March 4, 2006 09:46 PM

Classic :-)

Nice change from the Bush jokes (although I gues its a variant).

And Ed - gravity is a theory - thats all science gives you - nothing is certain (but some things are much more likely and better supported by the available evidence than others, for example, evolution is a better explanation of how humans came to be than some cosmic dude with a beard working on it for 6 days)...

Posted by: Big Gav at March 5, 2006 05:44 AM

One might also say most people don't understand the gravity of evolution as it stands today. You know, like past peak.

Especially if you believe humans have fully evolved.

Posted by: Jeff at March 5, 2006 11:16 AM

Ed, gravity is most definitely a theory. If I drop an object and watch it fall, that's a fact. But what will happen the next time I drop it? What will happen if I drop a different object? I think they'll fall, because I think they are subject to gravity, just as I think the planets and stars and all other matter is subject to gravity, but that's just a theory. There is no way I or anyone else can prove that the next time I drop an object it will fall. (And that it will obey an inverse square law, etc.) In this respect, gravity is like any other scientific theory: it can never be proved, only disproved. Who's to say that tomorrow we won't observe some phenomenon that contradicts the theory? But as more and more observations are found to be consistent with a theory, and as more and more predictions based on the theory are borne out be observation, the greater is the confidence we have in the theory. We often express that confidence by referring to a theory as a "law", as in the "law of gravitation".

We have enormous confidence in the theory of gravity because it has been found to be consistent with such an enormous number of observations. But evolution is equally well substantiated, although that fact is underappreciated by non-biologists. Millions of facts in biology point to evolution, and much of biology (and paleontology and ecology, etc.) is unintelligible without evolution. As the great biologist Theodosius Dobzhansky wrote, "Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution."

Posted by: Jonathan at March 5, 2006 02:12 PM